Blog Description

This is a space for dream words, love words, flying words, fall down, and get up words. First it begins inside your heart. Something moves, opens, frees itself. And now you feel a rhythm breaking it's long silence. This is going to be good. Be creative. Be generous. Be bold. For it is here that we begin to tell our story.

Friday, September 14, 2012

The Crib Project... Stage 1

We started our Crib Project last night...

Let's just say... I think I'm in over my head.

Here's the crib before we did anything to it. Just to give you an idea of what we're working with...


Beautiful right? what you can't see is the Permanent Marker writing on the side and the bite marks on the rails. But there's a lot of detail and it will be wonderful when we're done!


We started with a paint/varnish stripper. The instructions say "Spray thoroughly, let sit for 15 minutes, scrape off." Sound easy right? 

Well... Tiave sprayed once, I sprayed over it... we assumed the thing was just about as soaked as it was gonna get. 
Issues we didn't foresee....
1) How the heck are we supposed to scrape those round bars with all those tiny grooves after getting it all sprayed? Goopy Mess.
2) After sanding this all by hand.... our hands just might fall off. 
Oh well. I'm determined that it will be worth it. I love this crib!

Here's what it looked like after we quit for the night...


We had one side rail completely sanded and about a bar and half done. If anyone has the urge to sand something in the near future, hit me up. We've got plenty to do.

I'm really excited to continue working on this with Tiave and get it all done and put together! It's a great way for us to enjoy each other and build something for our little one. I worry that we might not finish on time, so if anyone has any tips that would make it easier, or more time efficient, it would be greatly appreciated! 

We'll keep you updated on how it goes and how it turns out!





3 comments:

  1. Hey if you need any help, I totally am here! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys,

    The stain stripper is really the best. Soak it with the stripper and then use a rag to wipe it off. It's really easy and it really works. I've just finished doing this to a piece of furniture and it worked great!

    Hope this helps,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete