Blog Description

This is a space for dream words, love words, flying words, fall down, and get up words. First it begins inside your heart. Something moves, opens, frees itself. And now you feel a rhythm breaking it's long silence. This is going to be good. Be creative. Be generous. Be bold. For it is here that we begin to tell our story.

Monday, August 27, 2012

A loss...

Grandpa Skip passed away on Saturday.

I will forever hold on to my fondest memories of him...

Trying to convince me (before I could read) that food labels said silly things like "Everyone gets some, except Renae" or "none for people below this tall"

Giving us rides around the block on his motorcycle. He always made sure he had a helmet to fit us. Even when we were really small.

Recruiting our help at the book store. He was the best at peeling a label off a cardboard box in one piece... and every time he did I responded with "...My Hero!"

Allowing me to have candy from the pantry... even after my parents said "no."

Always taking time during our visits to talk to just me and find out how things were going in my life and making sure that I knew he was there for me. No matter what. 

Banning texting during dinner visits. He wanted us there. Really there. And he made sure we knew it. 

(Thanksgiving 2010)
My heart hurts and I will be missing him as long as I live. I relate to the words in this poem that President Hinckley wrote shortly before his own death.

What Is This Thing That Men Call Death?


What is this thing that men call death?
This quiet passing in the night?
‘Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light



O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure

Give strength and peace beyond my tears.


There is no death, but only change
With recompense for vict’ry won
The gift of Him who loved all men
The Son of God, the Holy One.



-Gordon B. Hinckley


I am so thankful to my husband for being a shoulder to cry on and a pillar of strength for me in this difficult time. Also to family for being so supportive of each other. Aunt Debbie for coming all the way from Oklahoma to help care for Grandpa during his last few weeks of life and care for her sisters kids. Aunt Susan, Aunt Sandy, Uncle Rich, Mom and Dad for always being around to lend a hand, no matter the time or day. Keith and Desiree for coming from Oklahoma to see the family for the funeral. Evan and Barbara Murdock for calling just to make sure we were all okay. Gina Arlene for sending her love and prayers our way every time we need them - she never fails to know and we always feel it. All of our friends/family/neighbors/ward members for all of their love and support. I know I've missed people, but know that I love and appreciate all of you for all that you do.

Rest In Peace Grandpa, we'll see you soon.






3 comments:

  1. So sorry, Nae. :( You're in my prayers and heart. Love you, girlie,

    Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss Renae! Your grandpas sounds like an amazing man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those sweet memories of him. I love memories of grandparents. They are almost always the most happiest stories in the world. He is probably playing chess with Gordan B Hinkley up in heaven right now I am sure. I love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete