Blog Description

This is a space for dream words, love words, flying words, fall down, and get up words. First it begins inside your heart. Something moves, opens, frees itself. And now you feel a rhythm breaking it's long silence. This is going to be good. Be creative. Be generous. Be bold. For it is here that we begin to tell our story.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

35 weeks


Update on Baby...Baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that she's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at about 5 1/4 pounds. Because it's so snug, she's not really doing somersaults anymore, but she's still kicking and moving quite frequently. Her kidneys are fully developed now, and her liver can process some waste products. Most of her basic physical development is now complete — she'll spend the next few weeks just putting on weight.

As for me...

My uterus - which was entirely tucked away inside my pelvis when I conceived - now reaches up under my ribcage. (ouch!) If you could peek inside, you'd see that there is now more baby than amniotic fluid in there. My ballooning uterus is crowding my other internal organs too, which means I have to pee a lot more often, have heartburn all the time, and struggle to yawn or take a deep breath.

From my Monday appt on out, I'll be seeing Dr. Judd every week. Monday he'll do a culture to check for bacteria called Group B Strep (GBS). GBS is usually harmless in adults, but if you have it and pass it on to your baby during birth, it can cause serious complications, such as pneumonia, meningitis, or a blood infection. According to babycenter, 10%-30% of pregnant women have the bacteria and don't even know it. Dr. Judd says it's no big deal. If I test positive for GBS, they'll just give me IV antibiotics during labor which will prevent passing it on to the baby. 

Stresser #1 for me... a birth plan
Originally the plan was make it to the hospital, drug me, get this kid out. Now I'm realizing that I need something a little bit... more.

babycenter offered this form to help. I think it just made things worse. Seriously... Look at it. 

It asks who you want to me there, what type of pain meds do you want, would you like birth props (huh?), is it okay if nurses, residents, and/or students enter your room, and lots of other things that I never even thought of... or thought I had a say in.

I think I know who I want there, but idk who wants to be there... and who's going to be offended when I tell them they aren't invited to the big party? Do I even bother caring?  'eh.

Things I still need to do before baby gets here... in no particular order:

  • buy bottles, a breast pump, and warm clothes in itty bitty sizes
  • figure out and install the car seat properly
  • set up a nursery
  • pack mine/tiave's hospital bags
  • train someone at work to take over for a while
  • chill. 
I promise I'll figure this all out one day and I'll be a helpful, comedic inspiration to other pregnant woman all over... just like the lovelies over at http://www.pregnantchicken.com and http://lifecraftsandwhatever.blogspot.com

Until then, we'll just have to stick with learning together... one week at a time! 






No comments:

Post a Comment